Skip to main content

Music Of The Piper by Matthew Wilson

Music Of The Piper
by Matthew Wilson

“I always hated being deaf, meningitis got me as a baby and nearly destroyed my inner ear as well as part of my brain and though mom told me I could still have a full, fun life, I still envied other kids hearing birds, running water and more in style at the time,” -Richard “The Piper” Omar
Idiots said he’d sold his soul to light up that guitar the way he did and when kids came to school wearing his image on their shirts, again I envied their coolness for getting expelled. The great Richard Omar oozed danger and so I wanted to sample this alluring music that topped the charts every week.
Until Omar killed everyone.
To be fair, I guess he made everyone kill each other but it was the talk of our household when police surrounded his villa on live TV for attacking that female fan at a hick city concert.
The police ordered Omar to his knees, but the great musician played one lick of his guitar and laughed when the officers turned their guns on each other and opened fire.
I’d read many sickly, devoted internet posts how Omar’s music could intoxicate it’s audience, transporting them mentally to a world of please or pain depending on The Piper’s mood.
Mom’s face lost its beauty when she threw her TV dinner against the wall and came at me with a bread knife. I was so unprepared that she’d clumsily stabbed me twice before I managed to bite her hand, making her drop it and panicked, threw myself from the living room window into the front garden.
By that time our neighbours homes were already on fire and the man across the road was running his working lawnmower over his pet Alsatian. I guess mom and I weren’t the only ones to catch the breaking news but the murders continued well into the night.
Sometimes, police cars passed by, firing from the windows, killing naked dancers waving bloodied rakes above their heads and sometimes those same officers pumped bullets into their own brains.
I don’t know how long after he started this plague of madness he submitted to his cowardice but when several brave police officers finally broke down The Piper’s front door they found him hanging from a ceiling beam, garrotted by a string from his beloved guitar.
None of his fans went to the funeral. The local cemetery refused to take his body and they tossed his ashes without ceremony into the deepest river. Initially, mom didn’t recognise me when I visited her at the hospital but though she’d bitten off all her fingers she retained no memory of the previous days. She didn’t even know how close she'd come to killing me, but I carried no grudges.
For the first time in my life I was glad to have been deaf, to have missed being infected by that madman’s music. In fact when I throttled mom to death with guitar string later that night I told myself it was for a completely different, same reason.
But somehow, I don’t think the police believed me.

This story was originally published in Issue #6. You can get the whole print issue here: https://www.etsy.com/listing/674614280/the-rock-n-roll-horror-zine-6

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Host Without An Audience by Micah Castle

A Host Without An Audience by Micah Castle Am I live? The digital readout says it’s working, generator’s half-full… Ah… Yes, I’m live. Hello to the listeners who can still understand me! Ah, shit , hold on… Have to… turn up speakers… Wish I could see how much battery is left, doesn’t matter… Just have to make sure I can’t hear that damn song… Okay, okay… Ah, Tchaikovsky, can’t get enough. Sorry, I’m back and ready. I’ve spoken to you before about my life: my flat, my pets, my childhood and parents — everything that I once had but now stolen, destroyed by the disease, that song… But today, I’m going to talk about history… Now, you might be thinking actual history, like the World Wars or the Cold War or Russia and Germany and Japan and— no, nothing of the sort. I’m going to be talking about recent history, the origins of that damn song that caused it all, the song that pours from seemingly every radio in the world, from every tele, from every goddamn iPod from

End Times at Rock ’n’ Roll Joey’s By Madison McSweeney

End Times at Rock ’n’ Roll Joey’s By Madison McSweeney There were about eight of us left, after it was all over. Me, Mallory, and Brent, and Fred and his three goons. And then there was Rock’n’Roll Joey. Eight of us, then, plus the cooks – but they weren’t really… us , anymore, ya know? The day we crawled out of the fallout shelter, the ground was still slick with a green goo. When we stumbled upon the last surviving strip mall, Fred took a crowbar to the door of the Dollarama, opening up an oasis of non-perishables and soaps. We had it pretty good. It was Brent’s idea to scope out the diner next door. The Rock’n’Roll Joey’s was connected to the Dollarama, on the very edge of the strip mall; Brent figured they might have some edible food lying around, and with any luck, a working oven. The front door was stuck tight, so we went around the back, and Fred once again forced the door open with that crowbar. As we crossed the threshold, I was surprised to hear the soft sou

My Birth And Other Regrets by Ben Fitts - Out Now!

The debut short story collection from The Rock N' Roll Horror Zine's creator Ben Fitts is out now! It Features two stories previously included the zine plus seventeen more that span a variety of genres. From the back cover: "Welcome to a world where the irrational and unexpected is just a way of life, and normality is reserved to be nothing more than a perpetuation of victimization… A House in the sky – Existence amongst human statues – A decomposing corpse in a water-cubed desert – Mysterious conversations with an old oil-painting – Western erotica by way of Webster’s Dictionary – Heavy Metal infants in utero – A grotesque rotting ailment – Coma-based realities – Unusual private investigators for God – Male body dysmorphia – A fever-dream punk show – Part human, part clownfish… all elements in an experiment that’s completely unstable, and highly explosive – NOT SAFE FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION! My Birth and Other Regrets is a wonderfully weird and beautifully bizarre venture